If you're a birder, you'll know what a life list is. It's basically a list of all the bird species one has observed and positively ID'd in one's lifetime. This blog is a record of my "critter" life list (mostly of birds), including photos I've taken over the years, some of the actual lifer if I was lucky enough to get the shot. Don't expect National Geographic quality stuff here, just the work of an amateur photog who loves to trudge out into nature.

Friday, October 2, 2015

Black-Throated Gray Warbler (Setophaga nigrescens)

9/29/15

Of all places to find a life lister, I came across this little warbler in the parking lot of my work in Diamond Bar. It was just there on the sidewalk, looking up at me balefully, like it was dazed and confused. Two things came to mind: first, it was a fledgling that still hadn't found its wings; or second, it had flown into one of the glass windows on the building and was stunned and/or injured. Gil managed to pick the little fellow up to try and put it under some bushes for safety, then lo and behold, he just took off flying into a nearby sycamore tree. Now that is what I call a happy ending! I initially didn't know what kind of bird this was, but since I had taken a couple shots of it with my iPhone and after checking the requisite field guides, it was clear that it was a Black-throated Gray Warbler. That really made my day!



LIFE LIST NOTES:


COMMON NAME: Black-Throated Gray Warbler 


SPECIES: Setophaga (formerly Dendroica) nigrescens


COUNT: 1


LIFE LIST DATE: 9/29/2015


TIME: 2:31pm


LOCATION: Parking lot at 556 N. Diamond Bar Blvd., Diamond Bar (Los Angeles County), CA 91765


IDENTIFYING MARKS: Strong black & white head pattern: solid black crown, black stripe through eye, with white bands above and below. Small yellow spot just in front of the eye.


VOICE: Buzzy notes.

No comments:

Post a Comment