If you're a birder, you'll know what a life list is. It's basically a list of all the bird species one has observed and positively ID'd in one's lifetime. This blog is a record of my "critter" life list (mostly of birds), including photos I've taken over the years, some of the actual lifer if I was lucky enough to get the shot. Don't expect National Geographic quality stuff here, just the work of an amateur photog who loves to trudge out into nature.

Wednesday, October 7, 2015

Ruby-Crowned Kinglet (Regulus calendula)


10/22/02 Mono Lake County Park, Mono Basin Scenic Area, 
Eastern Sierras, Mono County, CA

3/6/11 Trans Preserve Trail, Santa Rosa Plateau Ecological Reserve,
Murrieta, SW Riverside County, CA

12/12/07 Male on a fennel plant in my herb garden. 
La Cresta, Murrieta, SW Riverside County, CA. Even though this photo 
doesn't show it, I saw the ruby crown as the little guy was flitting about.

LIFE LIST NOTES:

COMMON NAME: Ruby-Crowned Kinglet

SPECIES: Regulus calendula

LIFE LIST DATE11/17/2002

LOCATION: Riparian area at Buena Vista Lagoon, San Diego County, CA

From Stokes Field Guide to Birds: Western Region

IDENTIFYING MARKS: 4 1/2"; very small; grayish green above; white eye ring; no white eyebrow; 2 white wing bars. Male: Red patch on crown, usually concealed. Female: no patch on crown. 

VOICE: Song a series of descending high notes followed by 3-part phrases, like the words see see see you you you look-at-me, look-at-me, look-at-me.

No comments:

Post a Comment