If you're a birder, you'll know what a life list is. It's basically a list of all the bird species one has observed and positively ID'd in one's lifetime. This blog is a record of my "critter" life list (mostly of birds), including photos I've taken over the years, some of the actual lifer if I was lucky enough to get the shot. Don't expect National Geographic quality stuff here, just the work of an amateur photog who loves to trudge out into nature.

Saturday, October 3, 2015

Green-Tailed Towhee (Pipilo chlorurus)

In the summer of 2004, we took our first trip up to Lundy Canyon in the Eastern Sierras to hike the trail along Mill Creek. Two exciting things happened on that trip: one, I saw my first beaver dams! (albeit, sans beavers); two, I saw my first green-tailed towhee on the return trek back to the parking area. But, dammit, I was so excited that I got butter fingers and couldn't get the right lens on my camera fast enough. And then, when I managed to start taking a barrage of photos (like throwing stuff to see what sticks), the elusive fellow made itself scarce so I ended up with just this one rather poor shot. C'est la vie!

8/16/04 Near cabins at Lundy Lake Resort, Eastern Sierras, Mono County, CA

LIFE LIST NOTES:

COMMON NAME: Green-Tailed Towhee

SPECIES: Pipilo chlorurus


LIFE LIST DATE8/16/2004

COUNT: 1

LOCATION: Trail near cabins at Lundy Lake Resort, Eastern Sierras, Mono County, CA

From Stokes Field Guide to Birds: Western Region

IDENTIFYING MARKS: 6 1/2" Gray face, reddish brown cap, white chin. Unmarked back, wings, and tail are greenish.

VOICE: Song 2-3 whistled notes followed by harsh trill, like weeteer chrrrrrr; call a catlike mew.

No comments:

Post a Comment