If you're a birder, you'll know what a life list is. It's basically a list of all the bird species one has observed and positively ID'd in one's lifetime. This blog is a record of my "critter" life list (mostly of birds), including photos I've taken over the years, some of the actual lifer if I was lucky enough to get the shot. Don't expect National Geographic quality stuff here, just the work of an amateur photog who loves to trudge out into nature.

Saturday, October 24, 2015

Burrowing Owl (Athene cunicularia)

2/3/02 McDonald Road, Salton Sea, Imperial County, CA 


You can run, but you can't hide...bwahahahahahaha!
2/3/02


Go ahead. Park under me.
6/8/02 McDonald Road, Imperial County Wildlife Area, Salton Sea, Imperial County, CA 


I'm not in the mood...
6/8/02 


I kid you not...
6/8/02 


Caw caw! I mean coo-hoooo!
6/8/02

10/6/02 McDonald Road, Imperial Wildlife Area, Salton Sea, Imperial County, CA


 The sun, the sun!!! I'm melting!
10/6/02

Just kidding. 
10/6/02


 Come into my parlor...
10/6/02


LIFE LIST NOTES:

COMMON NAME: Burrowing Owl

SPECIES: Athene cunicularia

LIFE LIST DATE2/3/2002

LOCATION: Dirt embankment off of McDonald Road, Salton Sea, Imperial County, CA

From Kaufman Focus Guide: Birds of North America:

HABITAT: Once a common and well know ground owl of open country, now declining in numbers. Nests in underground burrows. Hunts mostly at night, but often seen perching on ground or fenceposts by day. Sometime hovers on rapidly beating wings. 

IDENTIFYING MARKS: 9 1/2"; Long legs, barred underparts, terrestrial habits. Juveniles plainer below. 

VOICE: Hollow coo-hooooo; squeaky chuckling chatter.

No comments:

Post a Comment